Connecticut Car Accident Compensation Laws
Car accidents can lead to a wide range of injuries and damages. In some cases, a single car accident can not only result in vehicle damages, but also in out-of-pocket expenses, lost wages, and even pain and suffering. While informing your car insurance company may help you obtain compensation for property damage, it's important to realize that you may also be entitled to several other types of damages associated with the accident. Before seeking compensation for your injuries, make sure the deadline for filing a lawsuit has not passed under the Connecticut car accident compensation laws.
Below, you'll find a table breaking down important aspects of Connecticut's car accident compensation laws, followed by detailed explanations of the laws.
Statute of Limitations
Limits on Damages
Note: State laws are revised regularly. Therefore, you should contact an attorney or conduct your own legal research to confirm the currentness of these laws.
Types of Damages in Car Accident Cases
In personal injury cases, "damages" refer to the costs associated with an accident awarded to the injured person. The amount of damages can be agreed upon at a settlement negotiation between the parties, or it can be decided by a judge or a jury trial at court. Here is the list of different types of damages that are common in car accident cases:
- Property Damages: are recoverable if your vehicle, personal belongings, and any other items were damaged as a result of the car accident.
- Medical Expenses : include costs of medical services associated with the accident.
- Lost Wages: are damages that represent the amount of money you would have earned from the time of the injury to the date of settlement or judgment.
- Mental and Physical Pain and Suffering : are damages for past and future physical pain and suffering in connection with the accident.
- Double or Treble Damages: may be awarded to the injured party if the other party operated the vehicle deliberately or with reckless disregard. This type of damages is commonly known as "punitive damages." The purpose of awarding double or treble damages is to punish a defendant for his or her conduct.
Car Accident Damages Caps and Time Limits
Unlike some other states, Connecticut does not impose a cap on personal injury damages. However, there is a two-year time limit for filing a personal injury lawsuit in Connecticut. The two-year time limit starts from the date of your car accident. After two years, you won't be able to file a lawsuit. Read up on Connecticut's civil statute of limitations laws to learn more about the time limits on other types of cases.
Modified Comparative Negligence in Connecticut
Connecticut follows a modified comparative negligence principle when it comes to car accident compensation cases. Under this rule, you would be able to recover damages as long as you are less than 50% at fault. However, if you are more than 50% or more at fault, the court will not allow you to collect any damages.
Here is a sample scenario: You are suing a driver for damages arising out of a car accident. At trial, the jury decides the total amount of damages is $100,000. The jury also decides that you were 10% at fault and the other driver 90% at fault. In that case, you would be able to recover 90% of $100,000 of damages, which is $90,000.
Contact a Personal Injury Lawyer for Free Evaluation of Your Claim
Even a minor car accident may require detailed understanding of your state's personal injury laws. Seeking legal assistance from a lawyer may help you to avoid unfair settlements for damages and medical expenses and preserve your rights under Connecticut car accident compensation laws. To find out about your options, contact a personal injury lawyer for a free claim evaluation.
You Don’t Have To Solve This on Your Own – Get a Lawyer’s Help
Meeting with a lawyer can help you understand your options and how to best protect your rights. Visit our attorney directory to find a lawyer near you who can help.
Next Steps: Search for a Local Attorney
Contact a qualified attorney.